Monday, January 9, 2012

M is for Me-kurabe

This week's entry for AlphaBeasts!

The Me-Kurabe is a strange being/ phenomenon-- a sort of skull-mountain staring contest creature. The skulls of one's victims materialize & roll about, then assemble themselves into a gruesome pile, whereupon they stare fixedly & accusingly until they're stared down, whereupon they disappear.

After I was pretty far into this it occurred to me that it might not qualify as beast, per se... but by then I'd invested too much time to justify starting over! (Although I hasten to add, I didn't draw the skulls. See below.)

Acrylic on scanned (& Photoshopically duplicated) illustration & text from First Lessons in Physiology and Hygiene, 1885, ~3"x4".

The original looked like this:



















By the way, if you'd like to see all my AlphaBeasts together, click here.

5 comments:

  1. Such a shame the skulls back down so easily. They should continue to stare accusingly at their murderer until he confesses. This one reminds of those cool old halloween door skeletons that are posable. Neat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My skull from the beach sends greetings to your skull family. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this one. How did you decide on green eyes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally cool and only 3"x4", nice. Love following your challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments, all!

    Ted, I agree, having gone to all the trouble to materialize & conglomerate, they might stick it out just a bit longer!

    Jean, I hope that beach skull wasn't glaring at you!

    Rince, I just like the color green (& admittedly I have greenish eyes myself)-- no greater significance than that!

    Donna, thanks-- I actually prefer to work tiny. :-)

    ReplyDelete