Saturday, September 17, 2011

Yttriferous

Okay, so Y is another tricky science letter. (See W.) I was almost stumped for a visual until I read that yttrium is a key ingredient in the formula for some synthetic garnets. That was the inspiration for this curiotype. You probably need to click on the image to see the face.

Photoshop with text from The Practical Standard Dictionary.

I wish I really had a bottle that looks like this. I have a bunch of wonderful old chemistry glass thanks to my dad, but I've always coveted really strange stuff like alchemical ware & Klein bottles. (Topology was one of my earliest science/math obsessions... right after malaria mosquitoes. Both due to random museum-visit epiphanies.)

Hey, this is Oddment number 50! And the curiotype alphabet is almost done. I'm a bit surprised I've made it this far. Raise a glass (of some non-yttriferous liquid) to the Oddments!

1 comment:

  1. stunning and mesmerizing !!! ( I did already open bottle of red wine, probably more tasty than stuff dripping from your Y shaped glasswork)
    Congratulation!!!

    If I find one looking as on your picture I send it to you . Maybe in Artichokistan it is still available , because they use it to prepare plum brandy :D

    ReplyDelete