Sunday, November 13, 2011

E is for Enenra

This week's entry for AlphaBeasts!

Enenra is a smoke-monster, normally found hanging around bonfires, but today emerging from a pack of pipe tobaccy. Can you believe this ad, from a 1939 True Detective!? Nothing like a whiff of good tobacco smoke to cure what ails you!

p.s. Yes, I live in Raleigh, NC, tobacco country. But my grandfather smoked a pipe until the day he could no longer breathe. He died of emphysema. So did my grandmother, who only inhaled his (nonstop) second-hand smoke.  I am not a tobacco advocate!

3 comments:

  1. Sorry about your grandparents. I have to say though, that I love the smell of a pipe. It really takes a lot of practice to learn how to smoke one, too, because the tobacco has no chemical in it to keep the fire burning, unlike cigarettes. You also don't inhale pipe smoke like you do a cigarette. That's why most pipe-related illnesses are within the mouth. You'd have to be a heavy pipe smoker to get emphysema from one, sounds like your grandfather was. But when someone passes me smoking a pipe I almost want to turn around and follow them. My 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Starr!

    Ted, I used to love the smell of my grandfather's pipe, so I know what you mean. And yes, he smoked constantly, even after the doctor told him it was killing him. He said he'd rather die smoking than give it up. It's a very seductive habit!

    ReplyDelete