Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Mr. Ghostflower

As I was sketching out some flora for my painting (working in Photoshop), I flipped a flower & it made me think of a starry-eyed, mustachioed face, so I decided to add nose & lip forms just for the fun of it.

:-{p

p.s. I almost forgot-- this started out as an experiment in shades of ivory, prompted by IF. Much as I adore color, I've always been fascinated by the ivory carvingsgrisaille work on altarpieces, &c. As with black & white photographs, there is a certain special clarity and depth about them. (I was thinking of these pieces when I did my Flea Circus painting too.)

8 comments:

  1. A simple flip and a creativity jumps forth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Ghostflower is powerfully suggestive. I feel like sneezing! Hehehe! Ah such beautiful and fluid lines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful. What an eye you have, to have seen this image in your sketch!! So many treasures this week...Sprout...and those glorious shamrocks! Always a treat to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome. He's obviously a very cool character. Definitely an ornamental influence.

    Thanks for stopping by and your nice comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The darn thing's staring at me with those piercing eyes, but I..... can't..... turn..... away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! Well usually I have plenty to say but I must say how much I like the effect on this one - of course I like the design but the shading is wonderful. Same goes with the flea circus - it's a great starting point those ivory carvings and I see you have done them proud

    ReplyDelete